1. AM/FM dominates share of ear among registered voters.
- Among registered voters, 75% of time spent with audio is spent with AM/FM radio.
- Podcasts came in second with 11% of audio time spent.
2. AM/FM radio’s ad-supported audio share is “pandemic proof.”
- AM/FM’s share of ear has remained dominant throughout the pandemic.
- AM/FM radio’s share of ear held steady at #1 from 2019 through 2021, capturing over 70% of audio’s share of ear each year.
3. AM/FM radio is the “queen of the road” across every buying demographic.
- From 2016-2021, at least 88% of time spent with ad-supported audio in the car has been spent with AM/FM radio.
“If you want to reach people on the path to purchase while they’re in their cars, while they’re shopping, AM/FM really should dominate your media plan to reach those on-the-go consumers,” said Pierre Bouvard, Chief Insights Officer of Cumulus Media/Westwood One.
4. AM/FM radio leads ad-supported audio across major demos.
- AM/FM radio held over 84% of the in-car share of ear for listeners 18-34, 18-49, 25-54, and 35-64.
- No matter what age of consumer you are trying to reach, you can reach them in the car with AM/FM radio.
5. Streaming is growing as a percentage of total AM/FM radio listening.
- Over six years, the proportion of AM/FM radio listening occurring via online streaming has increased from 8% to 14%.
6. AM/FM radio has the largest ad-supported audio share of smart speaker listening.
- 43% of ad-supported audio time spent on the smart speaker among persons 18+ is spent with AM/FM radio.
- Podcasts came in second, with 26% of ad-supported audio time spent on the smart speaker.
7. Since 2016, the daily reach of podcasts has doubled among listeners age 18-34 and tripled among listeners 25-54.
- Now, 1 out of 4 18-34-year-olds are listening to podcasts every day.
- Among 25-54-year-olds, almost 1 out of 5 are listening to podcasts in a typical day.
Are you thinking about advertising on radio or podcasts? SMI can help. Contact us today to get you brand’s message on broadcast, streaming, or satellite radio and podcasts.